Easy Muffin Tin Parmesan Pesto Egg in a Basket
I love Easter morning. Not only does the Easter bunny come, (check out the giant paw prints) and bring us lovely treats — But it also means BRUNCH. My daughter loves finding candy in her basket, however, I love finding an egg in a basket like the ones I’m about to show you.
I’ve been wanting to make eggs in a basket for a while now. Ever since I discovered them at Trails here in Griffith Park. They make them with pesto and parmesan and it is SO so good. So, I decided to give it a go!
First, I took a wide mouth mason jar and cut out whole wheat bread into circles. If you have a 3 inch cookie cutter that would also work.
You can roll them out with a rolling pin if you want, but I just kept it simple and left it like so.
*Also, don’t let the rest of the bread go to waste. I chopped up the scragglers, drizzled it with some olive oil, sprinkled some salt and garlic powder and popped them in the oven for 13 minutes after the egg in the baskets came out and made some homemade croutons with it.*
Second, I set aside some pesto, parmesan cheese and olive oil.
And then thirdly, I placed each piece into a greased (with olive oil) muffin tin. Fourth, I brushed some olive oil on top of the bread, added some pesto in the middle and cracked a whole egg in each cup.
Next, I sprinkled some parmesan cheese, MORE pesto and black pepper on top.
Then lastly, I baked it in the oven at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. Once done, I just carefully popped them out.
(for your convenience, affiliate link:)
Furthermore, sprinkling some chives on top, make it extra tasty. These herb scissors by the way, are the best for quickly chopping herbs. I now can’t live without them. Usually, I will just chop them with a knife, but this makes it so much easier and quicker.
And voila. Finally, eggs in a basket with pesto and paremsan. These are so tasty and super easy to make. And not only did we gobble them down in no time, but Els was asking for more. Of course, my husband ate the most.
All in all, I would call these everybody friendly. Certainly, for kids and adults alike! It was the perfect Easter morning brunch, with great food and quality family time.
And please tag #bebeandbear if you try these babies out!
PESTO PARMESAN EGG IN A BASKET
12 pieces of whole wheat bread
1/4 cup of pesto
*PRE HEAT OVEN TO 350 degrees farenheit.
1. Cut out with a 3 inch cookie cutter or a wide mouth mason jar, 12 round pieces of whole wheat bread.
2. Grease muffin tin with olive oil.
3. Place each piece of bread into the muffin tin and press down gently. Brush lightly with more olive oil.
4. Add about a 1/4 tsp of pesto in the middle of each bread.
5. Crack a whole egg into each cup.
6. Add 1/4 tsp more of pesto on top. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. And add black pepper.
7. Bake in oven for 11-13 minutes. At 350 degrees.
8. Let cool for couple of minutes. Then carefully with a butter knife scrape at sides and gently pull each egg basket out.
9. Sprinkle with chives on top and ENJOY!